Silver Bells Kicks Off the Holidays in Downtown Lansing. Here’s What You Need to Know!
Silver Bells in the City is right around the corner, and we’ve put together a guide for specials, promotions, holiday shopping and more happening on Silver Bells night! Celebrate the holidays Downtown with Lansing’s largest holiday event and kick off the season while lifting up local businesses!
Where to Park During Silver Bells
Free parking at 4:00 pm in the following State of Michigan surface lots: Allegan and Library visitor lots, Elliott-Larsen Lot (not Executive), Allegan, Ottawa, Butler and Pine. Free parking at 5:00 pm in the State of Michigan Roosevelt ramp. Please note: if you park in the Roosevelt you will not be able to get back into the Walnut St. entrance until 30 minutes after the Fireworks show (approximately 8:30 PM) due to safety rules. Parking in any City of Lansing parking ramps or surface lots is a flat fee of $5. The South Grand Ramp will offer event parking for $10 per car for people looking for a spot nearby.
Food Guide: Navigating Dinner, Sweet Treats and More!
Silver Bells has never been tastier! Downtown is home to more than 30 restaurants and bakeries full of delicious meals, tasty treats and one-of-a-kind dining experiences. For Silver Bells, here is what is going on for foodies and locals alike!
- Weston’s Kewpee Sandwich Shop: The Lansing staple will be open late for Silver Bells! Come get a world-famous Oliver Burger or any of their other delicious menu items until 9 p.m. or later!
- Sweet Encounters: The gourmet bakery & café specializes in made-from-scratch, gluten-free and peanut-free desserts. Sweet Encounters will be open until 9 p.m. and will have $1 off cupcakes from 5 to close! They will also have hot chocolate in addition to their regular food and dessert menu!
- Lansing Shuffle: You don’t want to miss the great things happening at the Lansing Shuffle! The riverfront’s newest addition will have holiday-themed drink and food specials along with fun hot drink options, including a “build-your-own” spiked hot chocolate and hot cider station, with the ability to take a hot drink to go in the social district. Stop by for the food and drinks, and stay for the warm patio and live music with the great local band Atomic Annie.
- The Peanut Shop: Come on down to the Shop to see its Lego homage to the parade and its block of Washington Square. The Peanut Shop will also be open until 9 p.m.
- Tatse: Tatse is an African-infused American fast-casual restaurant, specializing in local, clean and healthy African meals. Come check out Tatse until 11 p.m. and enjoy a 15% discount on all purchases.
Social District: Enjoy Your Favorite Drinks While Watching the Parade
Don’t forget that Downtown Lansing is a social district! You can grab your favorite drinks to-go from your favorite participating Downtown brewers, bars and restaurants while enjoying your Silver Bells festivities. Social Districts are designated areas in which community members can #LiftUpLocal and purchase adult beverages from participating businesses, then enjoy those beverages while walking around or relaxing outside within the district. To enjoy adult beverages in the social districts, residents must ask participating restaurants for a marked cup and enjoy it within district boundaries. Beverages may not be taken into other businesses, and may not be purchased from non-participating businesses or brought from home. (see map). Check out these great spots:
Also, gather your friends and for a drink at any of our other great bars and restaurants. Sidecar Sliderbar will be offering hot cocoa and spiked hot cocoa for adults 21+ until 2 a.m. and Tavern & Tap will be open early at 3 p.m. for parade-goers to stop by!
Shopping Guide: Get Ahead on Holiday Shopping with These Great Downtown Deals
Downtown Lansing has more than 20 retail stores and shops that provide a unique array of items. During Silver Bells, some of our shops will be hosting special deals and discounts or staying open late, which is the perfect time to get some of your holiday shopping done. Here is a list of a few retail spots to stop:
- Nubian Jewelry will stay open until 9:30 p.m. on the day of Silver Bells. Stop in and check out the retail store showcasing Africa’s culture, beauty and fashion to the people.
- Sparrow Bloom: Discover a world of floral wonders at Sparrow Bloom! The flower shop will be open late and will have special treats and hot cocoa.
- Middle Village Micro Market: Middle Village Micro Market will be open from 7 p.m. or later! Shop at four unique, charming stores all in one place: Honey Bun Bakery, CocoBella Fashion Boutique, Ornamaloo, and Sylvia’s Sudsery. In addition to later hours, Ornamaloo is offering a 20% discount on the entire shop through Saturday, Nov. 18.
- Dear Ollie & Co. & A Novel Concept will be open late until 8 pm!
- Lansing Art Gallery: The Michigan Made | Holiday Art Exhibition & Market has been a tradition for the Greater Lansing area for over 30 years. From 11 a.m. until 6 p.m., come shop from the gallery’s incredible selection of paintings, ceramics, glass, holiday cards and other unique hand-crafted goods, created by more than 80 Michigan artists. Find the perfect gift for everyone on your shopping list!
Sneak Peak of the 2023 Holiday Kringle Market at Reutter Park: Get a jumpstart on your holiday shopping, enjoy FREE ice skating and support your local community during the 2023 Holiday Kringle Market at Reutter Park. There will be a special sneak peek of the market on Friday, Nov. 17 from 4 to 7 p.m. where visitors can shop for locally sourced goods and unique handmade crafts with free fun holiday activities for the whole family at Reutter Park.
If you still don’t know what to give your friends and families this year, Downtown Digital Dollars has got you covered! You can purchase online gift cards that work for all participating businesses Downtown. Purchase your Downtown Digital Dollars today!
How to Support Your Downtown Community this Holiday Season
We can’t wait to gather Downtown to celebrate the holiday season with Silver Bells in the City, which is about bringing together family and friends from across the state of Michigan and beyond to kick off the holiday season. This is the perfect time to also come together as a community and support our residents who need shelter and support services this winter and beyond. The Downtown H.O.M.E Base Outreach Program is a DLI assists those in need all year. You can be a part of their great work by donating today online to our Outreach fund or by donating directly to several incredible organizations our city has working to ensure all of our residents have the resources and support when they need it. Make your donation today online!
Monetary donations can also be made directly to these local charities serving our community:
- Advent House H.O.M.E. Base Downtown Street Team
- Cardboard Prophets
- City Rescue Mission
- Holy Cross Ministries
- Homeless Angels
- Punks with Lunch
- The Fledge
If you’d like to purchase products for a donation, the following items are requested:
- hand warmers
- bottled water
- sleeping bags
- personal needs items, such as deodorant, lotion, toothpaste/toothbrush, etc.
- gift cards to Meijer, Walmart, or Target (for us to purchase supplies, as needed)